Are you planning a trip to Baltimore and wondering what exciting things the city has to offer? Look no further! Baltimore, also known as Charm City, is a vibrant and exciting destination filled with unique experiences and attractions. Whether you’re traveling with friends, family, or solo, there’s something for everyone in this bustling city. In this blog, we’ll take a closer look at the top things to do in Baltimore and help you plan a trip you’ll never forget.
Table of Contents
- Visit the National Aquarium
- Explore the Historic Fort McHenry
- Take a Stroll in the Inner Harbor
- Visit the Walters Art Museum
- Catch a Game at Camden Yards
- Other Fun Activities in Baltimore
- FAQs about Visiting Baltimore
Visit the National Aquarium
One of the must-visit attractions in Baltimore is the National Aquarium, located in the city’s Inner Harbor. The aquarium houses more than 20,000 animals, including dolphins, sharks, and jellyfish, making it one of the largest and most diverse aquariums in the country. Visitors can experience a wide range of exhibits, including the popular Blacktip Reef exhibit, which features a stunning coral reef ecosystem. Don’t miss out on the chance to get up close and personal with these incredible creatures.
Explore the Historic Fort McHenry
For history buffs, a visit to Fort McHenry is a must. This historic fort is best known for its role in the War of 1812 and is the birthplace of the Star-Spangled Banner. Visitors can explore the fort’s many exhibits and learn about the history of the fort and its significance to the country. Don’t forget to catch the daily flag-changing ceremony, a unique experience that shouldn’t be missed.
Take a Stroll in the Inner Harbor
Baltimore’s Inner Harbor is a lively and bustling waterfront area filled with restaurants, shops, and attractions. Take a leisurely stroll along the promenade and enjoy the stunning views of the harbor. There are also plenty of activities to do, such as taking a paddleboat ride or visiting one of the many museums located in the area. Don’t forget to sample some of the famous Maryland blue crabs, a local delicacy that you won’t find anywhere else.
Visit the Walters Art Museum
Art lovers won’t want to miss the chance to visit the Walters Art Museum. This museum features an impressive collection of art from around the world, including ancient Egyptian artifacts and medieval armor. The museum’s stunning architecture alone is worth a visit, with a beautiful sculpture garden located on the premises. Best of all, admission to the museum is completely free, making it an affordable and accessible option for visitors.
Catch a Game at Camden Yards
Sports fans will be delighted to visit Camden Yards, one of the most iconic baseball stadiums in the country. Home to the Baltimore Orioles, the stadium offers stunning views of the city skyline and a unique atmosphere that can’t be found anywhere else. Even if you’re not a baseball fan, the stadium’s rich history and beautiful design make it a must-visit attraction.
Other Fun Activities in Baltimore
Aside from the top attractions mentioned above, there are plenty of other exciting things to do in Baltimore. Some additional options include:
- Visit the Maryland Science Center. The Maryland Science Center is an excellent option for families and science enthusiasts alike. The museum features interactive exhibits and hands-on activities that allow visitors to explore the wonders of science. The highlight of the museum is the Davis Planetarium, which features stunning displays of the night sky and immersive experiences that are sure to impress.
- Go on a Food Tour. Baltimore is known for its delicious and unique cuisine, and there’s no better way to experience it than by taking a food tour. These tours offer a chance to sample some of the city’s best dishes and learn about the history and culture behind them. Some popular food tours include the Fells Point Food Tour, which explores the historic Fells Point neighborhood, and the Baltimore Ethnic Food Tour, which highlights the city’s diverse culinary scene.
- Visit the Edgar Allan Poe House and Museum. Literature enthusiasts will want to visit the Edgar Allan Poe House and Museum, located in the writer’s former home. Visitors can explore the museum’s exhibits and learn about Poe’s life and work, as well as his connection to Baltimore. The museum also offers guided tours and special events throughout the year, making it a must-visit attraction for Poe fans.
- Check Out the Street Art. Baltimore is home to a vibrant street art scene, with colorful and unique murals located throughout the city. Taking a street art tour is a great way to see some of the city’s best works and learn about the artists behind them. Some popular tours include the Station North Mural Tour and the Graffiti Alley Tour, both of which offer a chance to explore Baltimore’s creative side.
FAQs about Visiting Baltimore
What is the best time of year to visit Baltimore?
The best time to visit Baltimore is in the spring or fall when the weather is mild and there are plenty of outdoor activities to enjoy.
What is the most popular attraction in Baltimore?
The National Aquarium is one of the most popular attractions in Baltimore, and it’s easy to see why. With thousands of animals and immersive exhibits, it’s a must-visit for anyone traveling to the city.
Is Baltimore a safe city to visit?
While Baltimore does have its share of crime, the city is generally safe for visitors who take the proper precautions. Stick to well-lit and populated areas, and be aware of your surroundings at all times.
What is the local cuisine in Baltimore?
Baltimore is known for its seafood, particularly its Maryland blue crabs. Other local specialties include pit beef sandwiches and Old Bay seasoning, a spice blend that’s used in many dishes throughout the city.
Are there any free things to do in Baltimore?
Yes! There are plenty of free things to do in Baltimore, including visiting the Walters Art Museum, exploring the Inner Harbor, and taking a stroll in Patterson Park.
Baltimore is a city that’s full of surprises and hidden gems. From its vibrant waterfront to its rich history and culture, there’s always something new and exciting to discover. Whether you’re a first-time visitor or a seasoned traveler, the city’s unique attractions and activities are sure to impress. By following these tips and recommendations, you’ll be well on your way to experiencing all that Baltimore has to offer, if you have any questions feel free to contact us! So what are you waiting for? Start planning your trip today!